Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm a "ma'am" . . .

It's been happening with more and more frequency. I ignored it at first, certain there'd been a mistake. But no. Last night at the grocery store it was confirmed once again by the checkout guy. He called me ma'am. WHAT THE *&#@! When did this happen?! Perhaps it's the four children, the oldest of whom will soon be ten. Perhaps it's the squint lines that don't go away, even when I come in out of the blinding sun that was making me squint! Perhaps it's the ski slope around my waist from "growing" said four children. Perhaps it's all of these. Either way, I just don't understand how someone who watches American Idol, STILL gets zits, knows what BFF and LOL mean, and who has kidded herself into thinking she can still hang out in the Jr.'s section of the clothing store can be a "ma'am" and not a "miss". Good grief. There's nothing between "ma'am" and Grandma, so now what am I supposed to do for the next 15 years?!

7 comments:

Jean said...

Wow. That picture is something else.....
you are brave. :)

Also, I don't consider you a ma'am. If that makes any difference.

The Winwards said...

No way are you a ma'am. You are a young, spry, gorgeous, miss, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. P.S. thanks for always making a girl like me feel great by posting such nice comments. Ain't nobody better than Amy Morgan!!

April said...

Amy,
When I was living down in Florida, I got called Ma'am several times a day. When I would tell children they did not have to call me ma'am, their parents gave me the evil eye......"What in the world are you telling my child not to be polite for??" OH you are being polite alright!!! GURRRRR If 40's are the new 20's then what does that make me??? ;)

Tanya said...

Sad to tell you....
BUT I have been a ma'am for the last year, but just a part of being in the South....but I'm also a grandma too...LOL....

Nicole said...

You can't be a ma'am! YOUR NOT! Because if you are...then I am and I'm not having it. lol! Didn't you know that everyone around us ages, except for us? I will forever be 15-at least on the inside! ;)

The Winwards said...

Amy thanks so much for all the good advice as of late. Bumpers on the outside! Of course! I also returned my diapers with zero hassle. Bless your heart. I love my blog, it's like I have you on speed dial anytime I need some help. Bless this technology!

Jessica said...

I don't think you're a Ma'am. Not in the least...
The wait staff at TGIFridays last night kept referring to me as "Miss", and "Young Miss." I don't know what is worse, being called "Ma'am" to your face or feeling like you're being patronized when someone calls you "Miss". But, did it still get them a good tip? You betcha! :)