Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tender Mercies . . .

Since Sara was 5 months old, she's gotten what I call "Mystery Fevers". Very high, unexplained, unaccompanied by any other symptom, fevers every 6 weeks to 2 months. At first I figured she was teething. But, she'd get the fever (which would often last a week) and we'd never see any teeth! I'd take her to the doctor, sometimes even ER visits, and they'd check her for strep, earaches, UTI, sinus infections, pretty much everything, and then they'd send me home with a "sorry, it must just be some kind of virus." Eventually I stopped going to the doctor, knowing what they'd say ;) Occasionally, they'd stumble upon a mild earache, or non-strep sore throat, but that was only twice or three times in her two years of life. She once had horrible cankers and fever blisters all over her mouth. They checked her for hand foot and mouth disease, but that wasn't it. Just weird, unexplained symptoms.
I hit the internet, and "diagnosed" her with something called PFAPA syndrome - which explained all her symptoms. But, how do you convince a doctor to take a 2 year old's tonsils out (the only known cure) on a mom's whim from internet research?!
Well, bring on the Tender Mercies!!
About the middle of February, Anna got a cold. She generously passed this to Sara (who had just gotten over another unexplained fever.) For Anna, it was just a cold . . . for Sara it morphed into a cold with two earaches, a mild sore throat, and pre-pneumonia. Her regular doctor (whom we hadn't seen in awhile because he never seemed to be in when we needed him!) was again unavailable, so we saw another doctor in the clinic. She prescribed Augmentin, a slightly stronger anti-biotic than penicillin or ammoxicillin, that would attack the pre-pneumonia and keep it from turning into full blown pneumonia. Cut to 9 days later (you only give anti-biotics for 10 days). Sara develops HIVES, HUGE hives! I hesitate giving her Benadryl, 'cause who knows what that will do when she's already on another medication. I called to make an appointment, but SURPRISE! They're completely booked that day. However, their North Ogden clinic (1/2 hour away) has an opening. Fine with me! She really needed to see a doctor.
Tender mercy : The doctor we visited ACTUALLY cared about Sara's well being!! I started explaining everything that had been going on, what my suspicions were, etc. She gently and patiently advised me that we should deal with the current problem, and then asked me to bring Sara in for her 2 year well check when we'd have longer to get to the bottom of things!! I've never been so grateful to have a full doctor's office which forced me to see another doctor 1/2 hour away!! She is amazing!
We went back for the 2 year check up. I explained everything. Her suspicion was that Sara has severe enough allergies that her body has to keep up with those, and doesn't have enough left to fight off infection. Then, she looked in her throat. "Oh, my goodness. Those tonsils are huge. They're restricting her oxygen intake which can also affect the bodies ability to fight off infection. I'm referring you to an ENT."
ALL THOSE OTHER DOCTORS had looked in her throat, and NOT ONE had mentioned this.
As this has already been a terribly long story, I'll cut to the chase. We saw the ENT doctor a week ago today (Tuesday). He took her tonsils and adenoids out yesterday (Monday). In my consultation with him after the surgery, he mentioned how incredibly restricted her airway had been, and that the difference now was "night and day". ;)
So, if that has been her whole problem all along, or if my own diagnosis was correct - we have been the recipients of a few timely Tender Mercies, and I feel like she will be MUCH healthier from here on out. HOW COULD I EVER DOUBT that Someone loves us!!

In the waiting room.
On her surgical bed - with her new "ducky" and blankie from the hospital!
With her popsicles .. . how am I ever going to give her just one at a time now?!
Root Beer popsicles = life is good!
She was SO tired, but just couldn't fall asleep! I finally had to cover her eyes with a blanket to get her to keep them shut! I had to do that when she was a baby, too ;)
They told me to prepare for a night stay at the hospital because of her age, but we were home by 4:30 that afternoon! Talk about a Tender Mercy! Neither of us would've gotten ANY sleep at the hospital! She's been doing SO well post-surgery. She's eaten mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, bread, spaghetti noodles, and of course, Jell-O! And as long as we keep the "gap between Tylenol doses" small - she's been whine free! AMAZING ;) We are blessed.
P.S. (Wednesday) Got the results of her allergy test today - (they did it while she was under for her tonsils!) NEGATIVE. She's not allergic to any foods or particles in the air. Which MEANS ... perhaps I should've been a doctor! Well, what it actually means is that the tonsil/adenoidectomy should take care of a great many things!! HURRAY!

12 comments:

Brad and Jamie said...

Oh my! How scary, annoying, frustrating, and amazing all in one! So glad you found a doctor who'd listen to you and your concerns. What a sweet little girl you have. And yes, you'll never be able to give her just one popsicle for the rest of forever....not a bad trade-off though. :)

The Winwards said...

What an adventure. So glad you've got someone looking out for you, and so glad she got the huge tonsils out.

Cassi :) said...

My babies loved being covered with a blanket too.
Your instincts are worth more than any PhD! Sometimes it's a matter of finding a doctor who understands that. So glad you're munchkin is doing well!

k8e said...

hooray. :)

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

I love it when things just "work out." I'm glad she's recovering so well. What a champ!

Anonymous said...

wonderful! isn't it amazing to have a good dr.--makes the world of difference! she will be a new kid now that she can breathe!!!

me said...

Keep that doctor!!! I had a similiar issue with Eric when he was a newborn (he's now 10) and it took forever to get someone to listen to me!! Finally, when we moved my new pediatrician (and my currant pediatrician) listened and took action right away!! Eric was 19 months old when we had his adenoid taken out. Doctors that will listen are worth whatever travel time it takes! I am glad that your Sara will be felling better soon!

Dawna said...

So great- makes me want to ask Sam and Katie's ped about their tonsils. I'm a fan of taking em OUTTA THERE early so you don't have to deal with the inconvenience and pain as an adult. I wish Shane would get his out!

kim said...

We had to get Bens tonsils and adenoids out in dec (21 months old!) I had to go through so many hoops it was crazy. he had to have 2 sleep studies before they would take them out because he was under 2 yrs old and they needed proof that surgery was necessary. I'm so glad they took them out. he was miserable for about 10 days after surgery, then he was fine... just wanted popsicles all hours of the day! Im so glad sara got hers out. It's made a big difference in Ben! Hopefully it helps her!

Tanya said...

So glad they finally did something. Hope that she is doing better..

Cyndi said...

Wow! That's an amazing story! So glad that you finally found a doctor that would listen! I swear sometimes the doctors just go through the motion every day & they don't stop to "really" listen! Glad Sara is doing well:) Sounds like it's worth the 30 minute drive for that doctor!

Greg and Torrey said...

amy, i've been meaning to comment for a while now. i'm sure at this point you have already noticed a HUGE difference in your wee girl. i had my tonsils taken out around 10 years old and once they were gone i was like a different person. for the first 10 years of my life i remember feeling so sick and in such immense pain rather frequently. but once the tonsils were out and tubes had been put in my ears i was like a new and improved person. way to be intuitive to your child's needs. it seems that too many doctors don't want to take the time to get to the bottom of the problem. glad she received the medical attention she so desperately needed. i'm sure she's very grateful she has Warrior Mother to look out for her. Love you, Amy.